I’m not really sure what to title these posts at the moment. Anyways, this is an update to one of the paintings from the previous post. I have also done some more work on the other painting from that post, but I want to have a some more updates to that painting before I post on it. I have also started 2 more paintings of Crystal Cove which I might post about later in the week.
So basically, at the end of every day I take a photo of the progress I’ve made. In the early stages of the painting I might take a few photos to show how I start out. I’m not really sure at the moment if its better for me to work on the painting several days before posting an update or if I should just make a post every time I work on a painting. My gut says I should just wait that way there’s more to each post and nobody has to get bombarded with a bunch of posts all the time. Anyways, like I said I take a photo at the end of each day I work on a painting, and due to inconsistencies in lighting, the colors in each photo turn out a little different.
I basically started the painting in the middle, starting with the rock in the center. Then moved on to the water in the middle ground, and the clear water in the foreground. The rock was painted with thick paint with little to no medium over the dry canvas. The water was painted wet into wet. I like to try to emulate the material of whatever I’m painting by different ways of paint application. The rock is painted with thick dry paint with little blending to better suggest the physical qualities of the rock. Painting the water wet into wet let me blend more and make it look a little glossier.
For the middle ground water, I roughly scumbled blue paint over the whole area, except on the right side where a more grayish color was used. After that I could brush the whitish ripples on top and have the paint blend together more easily. I also added more medium to the paint, but still not to the point that it was thin or runny. The water in the lower left was roughly cover in the same way with mostly ultramarine, with maybe a little permanent rose mixed in. The rocks where then painted on top of the wet paint.
Once this was dry, I took a thinner liner brush and added some extra detail to the foam of the water in the middle ground. The paint was mostly white with varying degrees of ultramarine mixed in to make it darker. Enough medium was used to make the paint somewhat runny and easy to draw lines with. The background water was also roughly brushed in. As before I roughly scumbled blue over the whole of that area and then applied the ripples on top using thick impasto, thinner scumbles, small and large brushes. I was basically just trying to get some different textures back there.
The rocks in shadow were also painted in, pretty roughly. The areas where first covered with thinned down, burnt umber and ultramarine mixes. The paint again was applied roughly. Next the lighter areas of the shadow where brought out by painting on top of the wet paint with thicker paint. Some darker areas where also painted on top with thicker paint. I had felt that the way I approached the first rock in the center of the painting was too fiddly, and was also inspired to looking at some high resolution images of seascapes by Frederick Judd Waugh, whose paintings I had looked at in an earlier post.
I had found his paintings on Pinterest, and mostly just viewed them on my phone. At that size they look very heavily rendered and blended together but when I looked up high resolution photos on google I was surprised how roughly painted they actually are. Here’s an example. Anyways, this is why I painted the shadow areas more roughly.
Lastly, a small detail, I took the linner brush, and thinned ultramarine and painted little ripples over the underwater rocks in the lower left corner of the painting. This was just to help emphasize that they are underwater.
This is where the painting stands right now, still unfinished but getting close. Clouds were painted in first. Dry brushed with thick paint over the sky, to create some scumbling effects. The rest of the rocks in the light were painted over too. Also the rock in the center was painted on top of, more roughly to mimic the way the shadowy rock structure on the left was painted. To paint the rocks in the lower right I again roughly scumbled paint over the whole area, avoiding the dark shadows, so that I could paint wet into wet. The color used was mostly Naples yellow. More orange or blue was added into certain areas depending on the local color. The thicker paint was roughly brushed over to add in the details.
There are still a few things I want to do with the painting. Namely, I want to apply some glazes of the water. I also want to do some rough glazing over some areas of the rocks, and then possibly work back over some areas once that has dried.
Well I have a couple other paintings in the works now so I will probably make a new post soon about some of those. I have painted them to be set up to be glazed over, so I just need to wait for the canvases to dry so that I can apply the glazes and continue them, which hopefully won’t take too long.